Just like pumps, compressors pressurise a gas by reducing its volume. There are many types of compressor equipments that are available in the market today. These equipments are used in various applications. For instance, in refrigeration and air conditioning are used to carry heat in the respective cycles. Without them, it would be impossible to fill pneumatic tyres or power pneumatic tools in service stations and auto repair enterprises. Generally, compression is needed in filling high-pressured cylinders that are used in many day-to-day applications.
What advantages come with the use of compressor equipment?
First, they are powerful and are equipped to do any kind of designed job, whether at home on in the industry as compared to other traditional electrical equipment and tools. Secondly, they are efficient and can get work easily done due to their higher torque. Thirdly, they are safe compared to many sources and lastly, they are flexible as they are easily interchangeable.
They range from light to heavy duty depending on whether they are used for home or business use. Homeowners usually require the type that can drive common tools like reversible drills, brad nails, and impact wrenches and therefore need small units that can easily be moved or wheeled from the garage. It is however important to purchase the type that will drive the available air tool. For business purposes, those used are of industrial grade and are designed for more demanding duties. Some are portable, but many are stationary.
Sources of power
Depending on the location of one’s project, these equipments can be powered using different sources. There are electric powered and gasoline powered compressors that are useful in places where there is no electricity. It is also important to consider the required voltage and phase of your equipment and depending on the available power, one can use single, two or three-phase. Available also are single and two-stage ones. Single-stage can be used by homeowners, but for industrial applications, two-stage compressors are important because they are more efficient and can handle high-pressure ones.
Features to consider for compressors
• Vertical vs. Horizontal type – One can choose the kind of compressor depending on the available space. For example, for portability purposes, small horizontal ones are better and can be placed easily on a truck while the vertical one takes little space and are usually good for stationary compressors.
• Cylinder design. Because heat always limits the function of compressors, V-shaped compressors are better than in-line ones as they easily cool down.
• Oil free compressors are good for simple general duties as they are maintenance free.
• For a long lasting, heat transferring and little vibrations, belt-driven type are the best.
• Dual control type are good as they offer both automatic start/stop operation as well as 100% continuous speed operation.
• Cylinders should have a standard material, which is cast iron.
• One should ensure that a full packaged unit is delivered, i.e. motor start, dual control, as well as condensate drain.
Many dealers stock various kinds of compressor equipment and it is best to choose the one that offers quality products, have attractive after sale services, and a good customer support.